Sunday, May 22, 2016

Hands-free Mobile Device

There are a series of interconnecting parks about 20 minutes away on foot. I was sitting by the water in one of the parks, just watching people come and go along the pathway.

unicyclist
I hope to be a 90 year old guy who rides his unicycle to the store for whiskey and condoms. ~ J.D. Miller
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught the somewhat awkward movement of this girl trying to say atop of her unicycle.





unicyclist2
Unicyclists can ride longer than bicyclists because bicyclists are always two tired. ~ Unknown
I decided to walk ahead of her and snap some photos. Her name is Rachel.





unicyclist3
On a unicycle, my tire will tire before I do. I ride for charity. I'm trying to raise enough money to buy a bicycle. ~ Jarod Kintz
By the time I got there, she had covered a bit of ground but had since lost her balance and was having a hard time finding her groove again. Still, it looked like she was about to get it back.





unicyclist4
Unicyclists aren't crazy, just slightly unbalanced. - Unknown
Hang on, Rachel!





unicyclist5
Q: Whats the difference between a hobo on a unicycle and a man in a suit on a bike?    A: Attire.
Can she regain her balance and momentum?





unicyclist6
I live on the edge. Sometimes I fall off. - Steve Winterburn
Not this time. But she never lost her sense of humour.





unicyclist7
Instead of a motorcycle gang, I'm thinking of starting up a unicycle gang. We'll be hell on wheel. ~ Jarod Kintz
Atta girl!





unicyclist8
Where There's a Wheel, There's a Way ~ Unknown
This time, I think she's got it.





unicyclist9
I can. I will. End of story. ~ Unknown
A sweet smile of success!





unicyclist10
It's impossible to ride a unicycle, some of us have just figured out how to take a long time before we fall off. ~ Charlie Dancey
She soon left me in her wake.

32 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh gosh that looks incredibly fun. It also looks like something someone almost 60 should do on softer ground while learning......:-)

Marie Smith said...

Love the title. A nice use of a phrase in different usage today. Yours was perfect!

Great to document Rachel's progress for her. Hope she sees it. She has determination!

Rita said...

"hands free mobile device"--LOL!
I think you have to have a lot of determination (and excellent balance) to ride a unicycle. What a cutie pie with a great smile. :)

Cloudia said...

EXCELLENT narrative, photos, quotes, and portrait! (penultimate photo!)

I'm applauding you <3

Karen said...

Incredibly fun and incredibly dangerous. As a mum I cringe that she is not wearing any protection.

(Did they turn my fountain on yet? My sister is away so I can't ask her, hahaha)

William Kendall said...

That is something I couldn't possibly do!

DJan said...

Yikes! That concrete looks totally unforgiving. Great job, Rachel. Loved the smile. :-)

Leah J. Utas said...

Go Rachel!

joeh said...

Uphill must be brutal.

messymimi said...

That's something i've wanted to try for a long time. Go, Rachel!

TexWisGirl said...

love her spirit and determination. and daring.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Love the post title and accompanying quotes/captions. Had me smiling all the way through. :)

Jackie said...

You are so clever. I saw the title and couldn't imagine what you would be posting.
What fun to watch her persevere.
Love this!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am not even good at riding something on two wheels,never mind just one.

Out on the prairie said...

Not as easy as it looks. tried it a few times and like 2 wheels best

Barb said...

Rachel - thumbs up! I once saw a uni cycling UP a steel grade that I was hiking down. It was amazing.

Red said...

As always a great photo story. She was most agreeable to pose for you. Not learning to ride a unicycle is one thing I regret.

Musings of a Creative Writer said...

Almost looks like High Park. :) Wonderful photos and story; Rachel looks like she is having a blast!

Shammickite said...

tee hee what a great post! Keep at it, Rachel! It looks like she has the hang of it, but now she has to learn to juggle at the same time.
BTW where do you get those crazy quotes from... I love the one about the 90 year old guy unicycling to the store for whisky and condoms! Brilliant!

Linda said...

Good for her! She has a great smile too.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Pretty hard to do…I hope you can share these pics with her!

Catherine said...

That looks rather difficult but she got there! Great for the balance.

sage said...

I'm afraid my brains might be spilled out on some of those rocks if I'd treid that, but way to go Rachel!

Daryl said...

brava Rachel and well captured Hilary!

Tabor said...

What a lovely smile she has. I might have been able to do that years ago, but with osteoporosis I tend to avoid activities where I can break my neck.

Kerri Farley said...

Skill, balance, talent ...whatever you call it - she's got it!
Great pics!

ellen abbott said...

what fun. my sone bought a unicycle once and even managed to ride it a time or two.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is so joyful! Fun photos. I smiled, too!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I can hardly stand on one foot, so I am especially amazed at Rachel's ability to master the unicycle. Your wordplay and quotes are, as always, lovely gifts shared with us.

Anvilcloud said...

Good for her. Letting it all hang out in public like that is commendable.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I would just pick the thing up and carry it! I can't even ride a two wheeler, much less one of those. She does have a great attitude though.

Haddock said...

I must say, Rachel is brave.